While the interface is very different from previous versions of Write-N-Cite, it is arguably much easier to work with. Changes include:
Write-N-Cite 4 can be downloaded from within your RefWorks account by going to the "Tools" menu.
A lightbox will open. In addition to compatibility information and a download link, you will be given a login code. Copy this to your clipboard:
Once WNC 4 has been installed, it will automatically appear in your Word toolbar. Select the active icon to login and paste the code into the top box. There is no need to enter a group code, username, or password:
When you select "Insert" or "Edit" a citation, a window will appear with many more options:
Write-N-Cite will automatically insert the appropriate fields for your chosen style, but you can override these settings by editing a reference:
NOTE: Fields will be greyed-out when not applicable to your chosen style. As well, all changes will appear right away in the "Preview Citation" window.
If your chosen style has a rule about which order citations should appear in, they will be placed in that order. If you need to change the order, tick "Override default ordering" at the bottom. You can then use the arrows to re-order your citations.
Removing Write N Cite 4 from your computer is a three step process:
1. In Microsoft Word, navigate to "View" > "Customized Toolbars and Menus" (in Office 2008) or "Toolbars" > "Customized Toolbars and Menus" (in Office 2011). Uncheck the Write N Cite toolbar, then delete it. Close Word.
2. Now you will need to delete the bundle file. Navigate to "Applications" > "Microsoft Office 2008/2011" > "Office" > "Startup" > "Word" and drag the bundle file to the trash. Empty your trash.
3. The final folder you need to remove is found under your user file (the small house icon). Navigate to "Library" > "Application Support" > "Refworks" and drag the full file to the trash. Empty your trash.
Finding and removing this preference file is helpful in cases when Write-N-Cite on the Mac reports an error or does not activate properly. Please make sure Write-N-Cite is not running when you follow these instructions. Once the file is located, simply drag it to the Trash.
1. With the computer on, select the Finder from your program dock
2. Then begin to open items in the following order:
a. the hard drive illustrated below as “Untitled 1”
b. then, Users
c. then the name of the user illustrated below as “RWCOS”
d. select the Library folder
e. select the Preferences folder
f. finally, search the list of preference files for com.refworks.wncm.plist as shown below
g. drag the file to the Trash