About This Guide
This guide describes resources to assist in researching topics for the program Studies in Islam. Development of the guide is ongoing.
Your Library Card
Your WATCard is your Library card. Use it to borrow books from UW and other University Libraries as well as to remotely access the UW Library's electronic resources.
Key Library website links:
Studies in Islam
Studies in Islam is a multi-disciplinary program, housed at and administered by Renison University College, and open to all University of Waterloo students. An emphasis of this program is the interdisciplinary approach to studying Islam and Muslims, exploring the history as well as contemporary issues.
Basic Searching Techniques
- Choose an appropriate resource
- Research Databases
- Specific Journals
- Primary Sources
- Break down your topic
- imagine the title of the ideal book or journal article
- identify the key concepts
- think of synonyms or alternate words for each of the key concepts; use reference works (handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries) for assistance
- Use appropriate searching techniques
- boolean operators (and, or, not)
- phrase searching
- truncation/wildcard symbols
- field searching
- setting limits
- refining your search (using subject headings/descriptors and other terminology)