About This Guide
This guide describes resources to assist in researching topics for the program East Asian Studies. Development of the guide is ongoing.
Your Library Card
Your WATCard is your Library card. Use it to borrow books from UW and other University Libraries as well as to remotely access the UW Library's electronic resources.
Key Library website links:
East Asian Studies
East Asian Studies is an interdisciplinary program committed to offering its students engaging, interactive, and challenging courses that develop an understanding of East Asian cultures and proficiency in East Asian languages .
Basic Searching Techniques
- Choose an appropriate resource
- Research Databases
- Specific Journals
- Primary Sources
- Break down your topic
- imagine the title of the ideal book or journal article
- identify the key concepts
- think of synonyms or alternate words for each of the key concepts; use reference works (handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries) for assistance
- Use appropriate searching techniques
- boolean operators (and, or, not)
- phrase searching (" ")
- truncation/wildcard symbols (* or ?)
- field searching
- setting limits
- refining your search (using subject headings/descriptors and other terminology)
- For more information regarding sources & strategies appropriate for university level research, please consult the Quick Start Guide.