About This Guide
This Course Guide was created for the Fall 2014 offering of INTST 101: International Studies for AFM students.
It contains information to assist in the Library Research portion of the course assignment.
Key Library website links:
Your Library Card
Your WATCard is your Library card. Use it to borrow books from uWaterloo and other University Libraries as well as to remotely access the uWaterloo Library's electronic resources.
Remote Access to Electronic Resources at the uWaterloo Library
To access the Library's electronic resources (Research Databases, E-Journals,
Basic Searching Techniques
- Choose an appropriate resource
- Research Databases
- Specific Journals
- Primary Sources
- Break down your topic
- imagine the title of the ideal book or magazine article
- identify the key concepts
- think of synonyms or alternate words for each of the key concepts
- Use appropriate searching techniques
- boolean operators (and, or, not)
- phrase searching
- truncation/wildcard symbols
- field searching
- setting limits
- refining your search (using subject headings/descriptors and other terminology)