About This Guide
Use your Smartphone, iPad or other mobile device to find journal articles, save citations to your bibliography, view library instruction videos and more.
Look for these icons to find apps that work with your device
Most Smartphones iPhones and iPad Android
ArticleSearch is a free app for Apple devices that offers a search interface to results in Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search. With the free version of the app, you can choose one additional article search engine, such as JSTOR, to add to your search results.
Numbers of results returned from each search engine are displayed within the app; once you choose a particular results set that you wish to access, you will be taken out of the app and into the native web site such as Google Scholar or JSTOR.
Want access to the full text of articles you discover through ArticleSearch? There are a number of ways to make sure your mobile device have access:
- Connect to the campus wireless network.
- For Google Scholar results:
- Navigate to the Scholar Preferences gear icon in the top right corner of the page.
- Under Library Links, search for University of Waterloo, select Get It!@Waterloo option.
- This will allow Get It!@Waterloo links to display in your Google Scholar search results.
- For JSTOR results:
- use the Login button in the upper right corner
- Choose Login via Institution and University of Waterloo.
- You can also create a personal JSTOR account from a campus computer that will allow you to login on your mobile device, no matter what network you are using.
IOPscience express allows you to view and download the latest papers to appear in IOP-owned journals. You can also search for articles published by IOP over the last two years, and email information about selected articles to yourself or a colleague to enable access to the article from a desktop computer.
Browse: IOPscience express by default displays the latest 25 papers to be published across all IOP-owned journals. You can also choose to view the latest 25 articles to be published in a particular journal, or in particular subject area.
Search: IOPscience express enables you to search for content published in IOP-owned journals over the last two years. Simply enter your keywords to retrieve your results; previous searches are saved in a list for quick selection.
Explore: Article listings include the title, first author and journal name. Clicking on an article displays the full citation and abstract for the article, and you can also opt to view the full text of the article in PDF format.
Download: IOPscience express allows you to download up to 20 articles per month to your iPhone or iPod Touch. You can see at a glance how many downloads you have remaining.
The 154 sonnets that Shakespeare penned are some of the most famous in the world. But have you ever heard them all? This podcast series will take you through them one by one in easy 15 minute installments.
The show’s two hosts, and maybe one or two special guests, will read through the sonnet and talk about what it means to them and what they feel about it. You can listen as the hosts increase their knowledge of the sonnets while providing an entertaining and enlightening experience for you.
WEB OF KNOWLEDGE
The mobile version of Web of Knowledge has the ability to search within individual products (Web of Science, Biological Abstracts, MEDLINE, etc.), as well as, the All Databases Search. Other features include: sort, refine, email, add records to RefWorks, view times cited counts, citation score card, and search history.
To use the mobile platform, you must first create a personal account at Web of Knowledge.
- Go to Web of Knowledge from an on campus computer.
- Click Sign In along the top navigation.
- Click Register to create a new account You will be asked to enter your email address to verify that an account does not already exist for you.
- If an account does not already exist, you will be prompted to fill in the User Registration page.
- After the username and password you have entered is verified, it will become active.
- You are required to log in to Web of Knowledge from an IP authenticated computer or device every six months to verify you are an authorized user
Please note that Links to full text articles are not currently available in the mobile version.
Dana Porter Library
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1