RefWorks is a web-based citation and bibliography tool that is available to uWaterloo students, faculty, staff and alumni.
This guide will walk you through all of the basic functionalities RefWorks offers, as well as some new features and troubleshooting tips.
With RefWorks, you can:
- Organize and create a personal online database of references
- Format references for bibliographies and papers in a wide variety (over 3,000) styles (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Import references to your RefWorks account from a variety of databases using the Direct Export feature offered by many databases, or using Import Filters included in your RefWorks account
- Incorporate RSS feeds and import data from those feeds directly into RefWorks
uWaterloo users require a group code to login when working off-campus. The group code is emailed to you when you sign up for your account. You can also find the group code here. Please note that you MUST be connected via proxy (i.e., "connect from home") in order to view this page showing the group code.
If you cannot access it, contact RefWorks@library.uwaterloo.ca.
Setting Up a Refworks Account
Visit http://refworks.scholarsportal.info and click "Sign up for an Individual Account."
If you are on-campus, RefWorks will detect that you are associated with uWaterloo. If you are off-campus, you will need to go through the proxy (i.e., "connect from home") in order to create an account.
Fill in the required fields and submit your information. You will be able to access your account right away, and should receive an e-mail confirmation with your username, password, and groupcode.
Save this email in case you forget your password!
RefMobile gives users immediate access to the most commonly used RefWorks functions, including searching their entire RefWorks databases, viewing references by folders, adding and removing references from folders, creating new folders, and adding comments to Notes fields. Users can also efficiently import new references to their RefWorks account using the new SmartAdd feature.
Log in here.
Upcoming RefWorks Seminars
Click here to enroll in upcoming RefWorks seminars, where you will get hands-on instruction for using RefWorks.
The administrators of this RefWorks Guide would like to thank the following for their contributions:
- Scholars Portal for developing original content and making it available to uWaterloo
- Jessica Ma for creating screen captures for import filters relevant to uWaterloo Refworks users
- Ben Robinson for editing and adding content