RefWorks videos available on YouTube
If you are new to RefWorks or would like to see some training videos, they are available from the link below.
RefWorks Migration Update
In early 2015 all University of Waterloo RefWorks accounts were migrated to another server. Based on the migration, uWaterloo RefWorks users are/were required to redownload and install Write-n-cite.
Another impact was the requirement of unique login names. This resulted in some uWaterloo accounts having their login name changed. The new login name is the e-mail address that was on file when the original account was created.
If you are unable to access your account of have any questions about the migration, please feel free to send them to RefWorks@library.uwaterloo.ca
All the best,
Tim Ireland and Sandra Keys,
Your University of Waterloo RefWorks co-administrators
519 888-4567 x35061 (Tim) or x32279 (Sandra)
RefWorks is a web-based citation and bibliography tool that is available to uWaterloo students, faculty, staff and alumni.
This guide will walk you through all of the basic functionalities RefWorks offers, as well as some new features and troubleshooting tips.
With RefWorks, you can:
- Organize and create a personal online database of references
- Format references for bibliographies and papers in a wide variety (over 3,000) styles (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Import references to your RefWorks account from a variety of databases using the Direct Export feature offered by many databases, or using Import Filters included in your RefWorks account
- Incorporate RSS feeds and import data from those feeds directly into RefWorks
You will need to use the UWaterloo group code to sign up for a new account. You can find the group code here. Please note that you MUST be connected via proxy (i.e., "connect from home") in order to view this page showing the group code.
If you cannot access it, contact RefWorks@library.uwaterloo.ca.
Setting Up a Refworks Account
Visit http://www.refworks.com/refworks2 and click "Sign up for a New Account."
You will need to use the UWaterloo group code to sign up for a new account. You can find the group code here. Please note that you MUST be connected via proxy (i.e., "connect from home") in order to view this page showing the group code. If you cannot access it, contact RefWorks@library.uwaterloo.ca.
Fill in the required fields and submit your information. You will be able to access your account right away.
RefMobile gives users immediate access to the most commonly used RefWorks functions, including searching their entire RefWorks databases, viewing references by folders, adding and removing references from folders, creating new folders, and adding comments to Notes fields. Users can also efficiently import new references to their RefWorks account using the new SmartAdd feature.
Log in here.
Upcoming RefWorks Seminars
Click here to enroll in upcoming RefWorks seminars, where you will get hands-on instruction for using RefWorks.
The administrators of this RefWorks Guide would like to thank the following for their contributions:
- Scholars Portal for developing original content and making it available to uWaterloo
- Jessica Ma for creating screen captures for import filters relevant to uWaterloo Refworks users
- Ben Robinson for editing and adding content
- Patrick Miller for updating and and adding content