Be aware of the following when searching for conference proceedings:
1) Publishing Issues
- The conference proceeding may never have been published and sometimes the proceedings are only given to conference attendees.
- There may be time lag between the conference and publication of the proceedings.
- They can be published in many different forms – book series, serials, monograph, government document, special issues, technical report, html, CD ROM. Do you know how the one you are looking for is published?
2) Cataloguing Issues
- Title variations - this is extremely common especially as the name of associations change and more conferences become collaborative efforts.
- Sometimes items are not actually catalogued as a conference proceedings.
3) Authorship Issues (who is the “author?”)
- Name changes can occur within the sponsoring organization.
- Acronyms may by cryptic or may change over time.
4) Other Citation Issues
- The citation may only be for a preprint or abstract, therefore, the full conference presentation is not available.
- Incomplete or incorrect citation information is a very common problem.