Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
NEW ACCOUNTS ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED IN CLASSIC REFWORKS
Updates to the classic RefWorks are no longer prioritized. As a result, no new Classic RefWorks accounts are permitted.
RefWorks is a web-based citation and bibliography tool that is available to uWaterloo students, faculty, staff and alumni.
This guide will walk you through all of the basic functionalities RefWorks offers, as well as some new features and troubleshooting tips.
With RefWorks, you can:
- Organize and create a personal online database of references
- Format references for bibliographies and papers in a wide variety (over 3,000) styles (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Import references to your RefWorks account from a variety of databases using the Direct Export feature offered by many databases, or using Import Filters included in your RefWorks account
- Incorporate RSS feeds and import data from those feeds directly into RefWorks
Log-In to RefWorks now!
***YOU WILL NEED TO CREATE YOUR PERSONALIZED ACCOUNT BEFORE SIGNING IN***
If you cannot access it, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming RefWorks Seminars
Click here to enroll in upcoming RefWorks seminars, where you will get hands-on instruction for using RefWorks.
The administrators of this RefWorks Guide would like to thank the following for their contributions:
- Scholars Portal for developing original content and making it available to uWaterloo
- Jessica Ma for creating screen captures for import filters relevant to uWaterloo Refworks users
- Ben Robinson for editing and adding content
- Patrick Miller for updating and adding content
- Vicki Friesen & Cynthia Mancia for editing, updating and adding content