Note: Firefox works better than Internet Explorer for the Chat notification features.
Image showing My Account tab:
You are not expected to answer AskUs questions outside of Chat during your Chat shift. If AskUs notifications are on, the envelope on the top right side of the Chat Activity box will be orange. This means you will see questions from AskUs in the Chat box, which will be marked as "Ticket".
Turning off AskUs notifications in Chat
Starting Your Shift
Image showing "You are signed out" button:
4. Send your colleague a chat to let them know that you are taking over.
Ending Your Shift
To answer a chat, click the yellow "Answer" button in the chat, and type your answer in the chat box that pops up on the bottom right
Image showing chat window with Answer button highlighted:
1. Greet the patron, including thanking them for using the service.
2. Let the patron know if you are checking something.
3. To find an answer, search helpful tools like the Library Catalogue, University of Waterloo website, and Google. See Contact and Resources.
4. End the transaction by asking, "Is there anything I can help you with?"
5. Thank the patron for using the reference service.
6. Add Ref. Analytics directly in the chat window:
Image showing chat window with Add to Analytics icon highlighted:
7. If you close the chat window without adding the transaction, add it directly in Ref. Analytics.
If you are asked a circulation question over Chat, follow these steps:
1. Phone the Circulation Desk (Porter, x84883; Davis, x36913) for an immediate answer.
2. Alternatively, tell the patron you will be a few minutes, and physically ask at the Circulation Desk.
3. If you are unable to get a response, switch to email reference, by emailing Circulation at libCircReply@library.uwaterloo.ca.
There may be times when you have to transfer a chat.
1. For complex or specialized questions, refer the patron for additional specialized help. There are several options for continuing the reference transaction, including:
2. If your shift has ended and you are helping a patron, alert the staff member that is taking over from you that you will be finishing up with them.
3. Add Ref. Analytics. For straight transfers, add Ref. Analytics using a transaction level of 1 - Directional.
You may need to add a file to a chat conversation, for example, to send a PDF or a screenshot.
The staff side of Chat:
Image showing the staff side of chat:
The public side of Chat: