Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Your Library Card
Your WatCard is your Library card. Use it to borrow books from Waterloo and other University Libraries, as well as to remotely access the Waterloo Library's electronic resources.
Are You Off Campus?
Access the Library's electronic resources (databases, ejournals, ebooks, etc.) from anywhere!
Getting Started on Accounting and Finance Research (online module)
This short module is an introduction to search strategies and using ABI/Inform, one of our subscribed databases.
Basic Searching Techniques
- Choose an appropriate resource
- specific journals
- Primary Sources
- Break down your topic
- imagine the title of the ideal book or magazine article
- identify the key concepts
- think of synonyms or alternate words for each of the key concepts
- Use appropriate searching techniques
- boolean operators (and, or, not)
- phrase searching
- truncation/wildcard symbols
- field searching
- setting limits
- refining your search (using subject headings/descriptors and other terminology)