Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Social Work Courses and Programs
Connect to the library off campus
Omni library catalogue
Omni seamlessly connects 15 partner Ontario university libraries through one library catalogue. Students, faculty, staff, and retirees may use Interlibrary loan (ILL) to request materials not found in the UWaterloo library system from these partner libraries free of charge. You can order materials directly through the Omni catalogue!
For further instruction on how to use Omni, check out the Getting Started with Omni guide created by Wilfred Laurier University library.
Use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to find books and articles that are not available in the University of Waterloo or Omni library system, or University of Waterloo article databases. Inter-library loan staff will let you know if your request can be filled. This is a free service. Delivery time is estimated at 7-10 days. Article requests are frequently fulfilled digitally.
Films, documentaries and streaming services
For film resources on uWaterloo campus, students and faculty can visit the Media Resources Library.
To find out what is available for borrowing of streaming, search their media catalogue. Check their frequently asked questions page to find answers about their services and access to streaming.
Baisic search techniques
- Choose an appropriate resource
- Research Databases
- Specific Journals
- Primary Sources
- Break down your topic
- imagine the title of the ideal book or journal article
- identify the key concepts
- think of synonyms or alternate words for each of the key concepts; use reference works (handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries) for assistance
- Use appropriate searching techniques
- boolean operators (and, or, not)
- phrase searching (" ")
- truncation/wildcard symbols (* or ?)
- field searching
- setting limits
- refining your search (using subject headings/descriptors and other terminology)
- For more information regarding sources & strategies appropriate for university level research, please consult the Quick Start Guide.
Limited library help
Contact Tammy Kavanaugh for assistance.
Lusi Wong Library, Renison University College